Premier League headlines amid Jesse Marsch claim and UEFA’s new Champions League format

A look at the latest Premier League headlines on Thursday, March 31.

Newcastle backed to sign Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Former Aston Villa forward Gabby Agbonlahor believes Newcastle United are more likely to win a trophy than Everton, making St. Jams’ Park an attractive proposition for Dominic Calvert-Lewin. The Toffees forward is being touted for a big money move in the summer, with Tyneside being a possible destination.

“I can see that happening,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider. “If you look at Newcastle, they’re splashing the cash – he could probably double his money.

“Another factor is silverware. Newcastle are a lot more likely to win a trophy before Everton, I would suggest.

“They’ve got a plan to progress up that table by consistently spending money. I could see them winning something very soon – while Everton are in turmoil. I think Newcastle will be looking at even better players than Calvert-Lewin, to be honest. He has struggled this season – when he’s been fit. “

Jesse Marsch ‘in favor’ of five substitutes returning to Premier League

Leeds United head coach Jesse Marsch claims he’d be in favor of five substitutes returning to the Premier League. The original rule change came after the coronavirus pandemic saw clubs allowed to make five changes, but the Premier League became the only major competition to ditch the rule for the 2021-21 season.

Newcastle were among those against the rule change, believing it gave clubs with bigger squads an unfair advantage. However, with their new found wealth, they may have changed their stance.

Speaking during his press conference, Marsch said: “It makes games faster and more intensive and gives more playing time for the players. I came from a situation where two years I was working with five subs. Back to three makes me feel handcuffed.

“Better teams have better rosters, but they also have a better starting elevens. I like, with the way we play, being able to use more fresh players.”

UEFA ‘close’ to agreeing new Champions League format

Simon Stone, of the BBC, claims UEFA are “close to agreeing” a new 36-team format for thee Champions League. Stone claims UEFA went through the latest plans and looked at how the 2024 format will look at the European Clubs’ Association General Assembly in Vienna earlier this week.

Stone writes: “There is still some tinkering to be done but they are close to agreeing how the two controversial slots to be assigned through past performance will be done. Essentially, the two highest ranked teams who finish in the next place to the final qualification space in the Champions League proper in any individual country – so fifth in the Premier League – or win their domestic cup get in.

“Any country can get the spot – so it could be a team from a country that doesn’t get an automatic Champions League place if their coefficient is high enough – and you could have six representatives if the two highest ranked teams came from England, Spain, Italy or Germany. “

Go here for all the latest Newcastle United news.

.

Leave a Comment