2022 WAC Tournament | Quarterfinals | WAC Tournament Central
# 3 NM State (9-14) vs. # 6 Chicago State (9-14)
Friday, April 22 | 8:00 am MT | Beaumont, Texas | Beaumont Municipal Tennis Center
THE FIRST SERVE
• Beaumont, Texas, is where the NM State men’s tennis team will try to punch its ticket to the NCAA Tournament as the Aggies begin their run at the 2022 WAC Men’s Tennis Tournament.
• Seeded third in the six-team tournament, the Aggies’ first action comes in the quarterfinal round Friday morning when they tangle with sixth-seeded Chicago State at 8:00 am MT.
• NM State is playing in a WAC Tournament quarterfinal match for the first time since 2013. That year, the Aggies were seeded fifth and worked their way to the WAC Tournament semifinals by besting fourth-seeded Utah State in Denver.
• The Aggies have won three WAC Tournament titles in the history of their program. NM State’s last league tournament crown came in 2018 while its first two titles came in 2015 and 2017. All-time, the Aggies possess a 15-12 (.556) record in WAC Tournament matches.
• Earlier this season, NM State extended its winning streak against Chicago State to eight matches by picking up a 6-1 win over the Cougars in Beaumont, Texas. The Aggies won all three doubles matches and five of six singles matches to ease past the Cougars.
• NM State and Chicago State last met in the WAC Tournament in the semifinal round in 2017. That day, at the NM State Tennis Center, the top-seeded Aggies thumped fourth-seeded Chicago State by a 4-0 tally to move on to the WAC Tournament title bout.
• A total of three NM State players picked up All-WAC honors of some kind when the league unveiled its all-conference selections Wednesday afternoon. Gijs Akkermans and Jordy Visser earned spots on the All-WAC Singles Second Team while Louis Menard was picked to represent NM State on the six-man All-WAC Singles First Team.
• Menard and Visser were placed on the All-WAC Doubles Second Team as a result of their efforts in tandem play.
• The Aggies’ top-flight singles player, Menard comes into the WAC Tournament with a 9-7 mark in one-on-one bouts. He is one of two NM State players who have gone 4-2 in WAC singles action (Corey Clarke is the other) and has played exclusively online one since the season started.
• Akkermans and Visser each went 5-1 in singles play throughout the Aggies’ six-match WAC schedule in the 2022 regular season.
• In doubles action, Menard and Visser piled up a 10-8 mark which included a 3-2 showing in WAC matches. Their doubles record was bettered only by the one put up by Akkermans and Corey Clarke who went 11-8 and 4-2 in league battles.
• Clarke (9-9) and Visser (9-7) are tied with Menard for the highest amount of singles wins for the Aggies in 2022.
• NM State has been one of the two teams competing in the WAC Tournament championship match in every season since 2014. The Aggies are seeking an eighth-straight trip to the WAC Tournament finals when they begin postseason play Friday morning.
SCOUTING CHICAGO STATE | ROSTER | SCHEDULE | STATISTICS
• Able to snap a five-match losing skid with a 6-1 win over Seattle U on April 9, Chicago State hopes to string together back-to-back wins for the first time since early March when it tangles with NM State in the opening match of the 2022 WAC Tournament.
• One of the two Cougars with double-digit dual match wins to his credit is Hugo Hidalgo Vega who leads the team with a 12-6 mark in one-on-one action. Four of Chicago State’s 11 singles wins in WAC play have come courtesy of Hidalgo Vega who comes into the WAC Tournament riding a three-match winning streak.
• Pedro Alvarez attained All-WAC Singles First Team acclaim earlier in the week. The only Chicago State player to collect All-WAC honors in 2022, Alvarez posted a 10-8 mark in dual match action through 2022. Included in that record was a 2-3 showing against WAC competition.
• The Cougars’ best doubles team in dual match action has been the twosome of Max Sandoval and Jakov Suler. Together, they have put up a 7-3 mark in tandem matches which includes a 3-3 showing against WAC opposition.
• Sandoval and Suler have played all of their doubles matches online three and have been responsible for half of their team’s six WAC doubles victories this season.
• When the Cougars hit the courts Friday morning in Beaumont, they’ll be trying to put an end to an eight-match losing skid against NM State.
• Chicago State is on the hunt for its first WAC Tournament win since 2017. The Cougars scored a 4-0 win over Seattle U in the opening round of the 2017 WAC Tournament before falling to top-seeded NM State by a 4-0 tally the following day.
COMING UP NEXT
• With a win over the Cougars, the Aggies would advance to the semifinal round of the 2022 WAC Tournament. NM State’s second-round opponent would be second-seeded Abilene Christian with that semifinal bout between the Aggies and Wildcats scheduled for 8:00 am MT Saturday morning at the Beaumont Municipal Tennis Center.
++ NM State ++