The Chicago Cubs are ready to open up the checkbook this winter in MLB free agency and there are plenty of players available that could fit the Cubs’ needs.
However, the biggest need may be up the middle of the infield and luckily for Chicago there are four elite shortstops available to sign in Xander Bogaerts, Carlos Correa, Dansby Swanson, and Trea Turner. The Cubs have been linked to all of them in some form or fashion already this offseason.
Now, MLB Insider Jon Morosi upped the ante when he appeared on MLB Network’s Hot Stove on Tuesday.
“I will be very surprised if the Cubs do not add one of the Big Four superstar shortstops who are available in free agency this winter,” Morosi said Tuesday. “This is now their time.”
Scroll to continue
Here at Inside the Cubs we have already mentioned how Chicago “loves” Correa, has strong interest in Turner, and could be seen as contenders to land Bogaerts or Swanson as well.
Morosi, who is well connected, only solidifies the other reports coming out that the Cubs are indeed ready and willing to spend money on a franchise-altering piece.
Which one remains to be seen.
More From SI’s Inside The Cubs
- Could Mike Trout Request a Trade to the Chicago Cubs?
- Did David Robertson Net the Cubs a Future Star in Ben Brown?
- Hoerner is the Cubs shortstop of the future
- Cubs Could Give Canario a Shot in September
- Could the Cubs Land Trea Turner in the Offseason?
- Chicago Cubs Have a New Top Prospect in Their Rankings
- Is This Top Cubs Prospect Destined for the Mound at Wrigley?
- Steele Offers Glimpse Into Future of Cubs Rotation
- Do the Chicago Cubs Have the National League’s Best Bullpen?
- Can Christopher Morel be a Long-Term Solution in Center Field?
Make sure to follow Inside the Cubs on Twitter!