Group 1-winning jockey Adam Hyeronimus is free to ride in barrier trials again with a view to returning to race riding early in the New Year.
Hyeronimus was at the peak of his career before he was banned for two years and four months for betting-related offences.
Racing NSW chief steward Steve Railton gave Hyeronimus permission to resume track riding earlier this month and to ride in barrier trials from Thursday.
But Hyeronimus told News Corp he intends to ride trackwork for a few more weeks and improve his fitness before going back to the barrier trials.
SPECIAL OFFER: UNLOCK EVERYTHING ON RACENET FOR JUST $1
Hyeronimus politely declined an interview request, preferring to concentrate on his comeback but Hall of Fame trainer Gai Waterhouse was quick to offer the jockey her full support.
“Adam’s the most talented young jockey,” said Waterhouse, who trains in partnership with Adrian Bott.
“He has copped his punishment well and he’s eager to get back to race riding.
“He realizes he has made mistakes but he wants to get on with his career and be successful.
“I understand he plans to ride trackwork for about a month and then ride in trials for another month.
“All I can say is the other jockeys better look out – he is a top-class rider.”
Hyeronimus was originally banned for three years after stewards found him guilty for betting on races over a four-year period.
His penalty was reduced to two years and four months on appeal.
Before his riding ban, Hyeronimus rode regularly for the Waterhouse-Bott stable including the jockey’s breakthrough Group 1 win on Shout The Bar in the 2020 Vinery Stud Stakes.
Meanwhile, Racing NSW stewards are hopeful of convening next month for a high profile inquiry involving four jockeys and two professional punters.
Champion Sydney jockey Tommy Berry has been issued with various charges including two alleged offenses of “accepting or agreeing to accept a consideration” from owner-punter Zaid Miller.
Berry was also hit with two charges for having and using a mobile phone in the jockeys’ room, and for conduct prejudicial to the interests of racing.
Miller has been charged with five offenses relating to his involvement with Berry and for conduct prejudicial to the interests of racing.
Jockeys Jordan Mallyon and Jack Martin have been charged with various offenses including betting on thoroughbred races and giving misleading evidence to stewards, and Kayla Nisbet has been charged with accepting money from a professional punter without stewards consent and for giving misleading evidence to stewards.
Another owner-punter, Jacob Hoffman, has been issued with eight charges including his conduct in relation to Nisbet and Martin, and also for providing false or misleading evidence to stewards.
“We are liaising with the various legal representatives for all the participants,” Railton said.
“At this stage, stewards are hopeful of being able to set down some dates to hear the charges, it is likely to be mid-January.”
Originally published as Adam Hyeronimus takes first steps back to racing after lengthy betting ban