ELON, NC – Elon University men’s tennis won its third straight match, defeating Charleston, 4-0, on Friday, April 22, in the quarterfinals of the 2022 CAA Men’s Tennis Championship at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center in Elon, NC
“I thought we came out strong in doubles,” head coach Michael Leonard opened. “We were able to get up in several matches and then we kind of just stayed on top of them. In singles I thought the guys looked a little bit nervous in the beginning, which is understandable when you’re dealing with the pressure of playing a conference tournament at home, but we found a way to settle down. Our top four guys have been playing well all season and that continued today. Now we’ll look forward for a quick turnaround to play William & Mary in the semis tomorrow. “
With the win the Phoenix has now made it to the semifinals round of the CAA Tournament in each year it has been a member of the Colonial.
– Daniel Martin got the ball rolling for Elon in singles play, taking down Matias Gaedechens 6-2, 6-1 in straight sets. The win moved Martin to 12-1 in the No. 3 slot and a team-best 16-4 overall this season.
– Nicholas Campbell picked up his 12th win of the year in the match, making quick work of Robby Krick 6-1, 6-1 in No. 2 singles. Campbell now holds an 9-6 mark at No. 2 and has won nine of his last 12 matches of him.
– Camilo Ponce clinched the match for the Phoenix, earning a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Noah Borges in the No. 4 position. With the win, Ponce now sits at 8-6 in the No. 4 spot and 10-7 overall this season.
– Kyle Frankel nearly added another win to the Phoenix’s total, leading Zac Larke 5-2 in the second set after winning the first 6-3 in No. 1 singles.
– The combination of Campbell and Nicholas Condos sparked the momentum for Elon in doubles play, defeating Andre Limon and Noah Borges 6-1. The win moved the combo to 9-3 overall with an 8-2 mark in the No. 3 position.
– The tandem of Ponce and Frankel clinched the doubles point for the Phoenix, outlasting Brolin Dorsey and Johnny Wang 6-2 in No. 2 doubles. The duo picked up its fifth victory of the season in the match and has now won four of its last five outings.
Elon returns to action tomorrow, April 23, for an 11 am matchup with top-seeded William & Mary in the semifinals of the 2022 CAA Tournament at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center on Elon’s campus.
1. Kyle Frankel (ELON) vs. Zac Larke (COFC) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
2. Nicholas Campbell (ELON) def. Robby Krick (COFC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniel Martin (ELON) def. Matias Gaedechens (COFC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Noah Borges (COFC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) vs. Johnny Wang (COFC) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
6. Ben Zipay (ELON) vs. Andre Limon (COFC) 6-2, 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
1. Daniel Martin/Chung-Han Tsai (ELON) vs. Zac Larke / Robby Krick (COFC) 4-3, unfinished
2. Camilo Ponce/Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Brolin Dorsey / Johnny Wang (COFC) 6-2
3. Nicholas Campbell/Nicholas Condos (ELON) def. Andre Limon / Noah Borges (COFC) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3.2); Singles (3,2,4)