EFL goals and round-up: Bournemouth, Luton win; WBA held | Football News

AFC Bournemouth took another step towards a Premier League return with a professional 3-0 win away to promotion rivals Huddersfield.

Victory for the hosts would have drawn them level on points with the second-placed Cherries but Scott Parker’s side showed their class to open up a healthy cushion between themselves and the chasing pack in the Sky Bet Championship.

First half goals by Jaidon Anthony and Jefferson Lerma put Bournemouth in control and top goalscorer Dominic Solanke added another after the break to close the gap on leaders Fulham, who have played one game more, to eight

Luton leapfrogged Huddersfield to move up to third with a 3-1 win at Hull City.

Elijah Adebayo opened the scoring in the ninth minute after a fine run and he turned provider with 56 minutes on the clock when he set up Harry Cornick for a tap-in.

James Bee wrapped up the points with a stunning free-kick midway through the second half before Tom Eaves netted a late consolation.

Sheffield United were the other big movers after they tasted success at home to Barnsley in one of the two early kick-offs.

The Yorkshire derby at Bramall Lane remained goalless until the 54th minute when Sander Berge tapped home at the back post before Morgan Gibbs-White sealed the 2-0 victory with 14 minutes to go.

Paul Heckingbottom’s side are now fifth after they extended their unbeaten home record to 10 games.

The other 12.30pm kick-off saw Tom Lawrence’s penalty earn Derby County a point at home to Coventry after a hard-fought 1-1 draw.

A well-worked move enabled Matty Godden to fire the visitors ahead in the first half at Pride Park but Wayne Rooney’s men boosted their survival hopes with a leveller from the spot.

Captain Lawrence converted from 12-yards but later in the day, 21st-placed Reading clinched a vital 1-0 win over play-off chasing Blackburn to cast a cloud over the relegation-threatened sides in the bottom three.

Rovers had struggled for goals in the absence of leading marksman Ben Brereton Diaz and again created a number of chances which they were unable to convert at the Select Car Leasing Stadium.

It enabled Paul Ince, Reading interim manager, a chance to get the last laugh over old club Blackburn when Josh Laurent fired home following excellent play by substitute John Swift.

The Royals now hold a five-point advantage over Barnsley and are eight points ahead of Derby with games running out for the sides in the relegation zone.

Millwall’s faint promotion hopes were dealt a major blow after they lost 2-0 at Stoke City.

Jacob Brown put the hosts in front with 19 minutes on the clock and George Saville’s own goal settled the result while Jed Wallace failed to convert a late penalty to compound a frustrating afternoon for the Lions and boss Gary Rowett at the bet365 Stadium.

Adam Reach’s stoppage-time equalizer for West Brom did little for their own play-off push following a 2-2 draw at Bristol City.

Nahki Wells saw his first-half opener canceled out by Karlan Grant’s penalty for the visitors but Andreas Weimann’s 18th goal of the campaign appeared to have the Robins on course for all three points.

Reach was able to fire home in the third minute of stoppage time to rescue a point for Steve Bruce’s men, but they stay 12th and are seven points off the top six.

Mid-table clubs Swansea and Birmingham played out a goalless draw in Wales.

Sky Bet League One

Wigan beat Morecambe to close the gap at the top of League One to a single point as Shrewsbury shocked league leaders Rotherham in a 3-0 win.

Daniel Udoh put the Shrews in front before Rotherham defender Angus MacDonald was shown a red card before half-time.

Shrewsbury used their extra man to their advantage, and Elliott Bennett and Ryan Bowman both struck in the second half to help their side pull off a big win to move up to 16th.

The loss reduces Rotherham’s lead at the top of the table to one point after Wigan secured a comfortable 4-1 win against Morecambe.

Josh Magennis opened the scoring for Latics in the 19th minute before Jason Kerr added another just before the break.

The Shrimps were awarded a penalty after the restart when Cole Stockton’s strike was blocked by a Wigan hand, and Dylan Connolly scored from the spot.

However, two quick-fire goals one minute apart from Will Keane and Stephen Humphrys put the game to bed for Wigan to edge closer to the top with two games in hand.

Warren O’Hora’s 60th-minute strike made it four wins from five for MK Dons as they beat Cambridge 1-0 to stay third in the table.

Plymouth remain fourth after thrashing 10-man Accrington 4-0 at Home Park to make it five consecutive wins.

Panutche Camara, Joe Edwards, Niall Ennis and Ryan Hardie were the goalscorers for the Pilgrims, while Stanley had goalkeeper Toby Savin sent off in the 68th minute.

Promotion hopefuls Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe were all handed a blow after they were held to goalless draws by Lincoln, Gillingham and Portsmouth respectively.

Fellow promotion candidates Oxford left it late to rescue a point against Ipswich as Luke McNally’s stoppage-time strike canceled out Bersant Celina’s goal.

Bolton’s Amadou Bakayoko struck in stoppage time to snatch three points against Crewe and win 1-0, meaning this is the fifth consecutive defeat for the bottom-of-the-table side.

Cheltenham were another side who left it late to claim three points and they scored three goals in the final 10 minutes to come from behind to beat a struggling AFC Wimbledon side 3-1.

Jack Rudoni put the Dons ahead in the first half but Callum Wright’s strike in the 81st minute kicked off a series of late goals for the Robins, with George Lloyd and Alfie May adding to the tally.

Charlton made it back-to-back wins with goals from Conor Washington and Corey Blackett-Taylor to beat Burton Albion 2-0.

Elsewhere Fleetwood and Doncaster ended in a stalemate with both sides forced to share the spoils in a 0-0 draw that sees Rovers remain second from bottom.

Sky Bet League Two

Exeter moved up to second in League Two with a comfortable 2-0 win at relegation-troubled Oldham.

Despite losing Nigel Atangana to a stoppage-time red card, Kyle Taylor and Jevani Brown secured maximum points at Boundary Park to move the Grecians five points off Forest Green.

They remain a point above Bristol Rovers and Northampton, who went head-to-head at Sixfields with the visitors emerging victorious through Harry Anderson’s first-minute strike, which moved the Pirates up to fourth in the table.

Tranmere could have ended the day in the top three but were held to a 1-1 draw at Sutton United. They were forced to come from behind after Ben Goodliffe’s first goal since October and struck back through Josh Hawkes’ second-half finish.

Salford City edged Scunthorpe further towards relegation with a 5-1 hammering which lifted them to 11th, and kept their faint play-off hopes alive.

Brandon Thomas-Asante’s hat-trick played a major part in their victory, while Matt Smith and Stephen Kelly were also on target.

Port Vale added a third win in a row to move a point off the top seven, as they inflicted a first defeat in three on Mark Hughes’ Bradford. Goals from Ben Garrity and James Wilson gave them a 2-1 win at Valley Parade.

Carlisle kept up their superb form under the returning Paul Simpson with Kristian Dennis’ first goal for the club earning them a fifth victory from six in a 1-0 win at Barrow in the Cumbria derby.

Their relegation rivals Leyton Orient picked up a first win in 16 games to come from behind and beat Rochdale 3-1 at Brisbane Road. Goals from Paul Smyth, Ruel Sotiriouand, Harry Smith moved them up to 18th, nine points clear of the drop.

Seventh-placed Swindon’s gap to the chasing pack was cut by a 3-1 defeat at Crawley, who end a run of three straight defeats for the hosts.

Kwesi Appiah, Tom Nichols and Isaac Hutchinson struck for John Yems’ men to leave Swindon only two points clear of Port Vale in eighth.

Calum Kavanagh picked a good moment to score his first Harrogate goal since joining on loan from Middlesbrough in January, with his last-minute effort earning them a 1-1 draw with Walsall.

Leave a Comment