A RYDE man has been spared a longer term of driving disqualification after being caught behind the wheel in a Tesco car park.
Michael Pilbeam, of Great Preston Road, appeared before Isle of Wight magistrates on Tuesday (August 2).
The 45-year-old admitted driving while disqualified, in Ryde, on July 16.
Prosecutor, Liz Miller, told the court officers had been on duty at approximately 7.45pm in an unmarked police car.
She said they had been made aware that Pilbeam — known to be disqualified — had been seen driving in the area.
Ms Miller said police located his vehicle in Tesco car park off Brading Road and waited for Pilbeam to return.
The court heard, when Pilbeam got into the driver’s seat and made an attempt to drive off, he was stopped.
Ms Miller said the police took the keys out of the ignition, and Pilbeam – who had a passenger – told them he had been driving to run a business.
Barry Arnett, defending, said Pilbeam had an horrendous time and he, his wife and his two teenage children had been living hand to mouth.
He said Pilbeam had received threats from various people in relation to another matter, and his house had been “red flagged”.
Mr Arnett said Pilbeam barely had enough money to live on because his earnings had dried up.
Pilbeam was made subject of a 12-month community order, to include 40 hours of unpaid work.
He was ordered to pay costs of £85, a £114 surcharge, and his license was endorsed with six points.