Clarke sticks to cricket on radio return

Michael Clarke has criticized Australia’s selectors and the team’s preparations for India as he opted to stick with cricket on his return to breakfast radio.

The subject of headlines for the past week after his public spat with girlfriend Jade Yarbrough, Clarke chose not to address the matter on the show’s return for the year.

With radio bosses expecting Clarke to talk on the matter when the incident broke last week, Big Sports Breakfast host Gerard Middleton was the only member to acknowledge it on Monday.

Middleton made the point that the issue was a private matter, and the show wanted to move on from it.

“It is a private matter that Clarkey has been dealing with,” Middleton said early in the show.

“A very, very private matter that unfortunately was made public. There are a lot of factors at play here, and Clarkey made his statement last week.

“We’re moving on to the Big Sports Breakfast.”

Middleton also said the show had received a lot of text messages “supporting” Clarke, while others had been “sticking the boot in”.

In response, Clarke only entertained jokes about his problematic right hamstring after it was also injured in the argument with Yarbrough and her brother-in-law Karl Stefanovic.

Clarke and Yarbrough have both been fined by Queensland Police for public nuisance, after the expletive-laden argument.

The issue is also believed to have placed Clarke’s commentary contract with the BCCI at risk, with the former Australia Test captain revealing on Monday he had been contacted to comment on Pakistan’s T20 league.

Aside from that, Clarke kept his opinions to cricket.

He claimed selectors would be “kicking themselves” for overlooking Steve Smith for the majority of Australia’s T20 World Cup disappointment, after his back-to-back BBL tons.

“The Australian selectors missed a massive trick with Smithy in the T20 World Cup,” Clarke said.

“They were set on Mitch Marsh batting at No.3. (Aaron) Finch tried batting No.4, Cameron Green had a go.

“Smithy gets back in the BBL and hits two hundreds in a row.

“He could’ve batted anywhere, he didn’t have to bat at No.3.

The 41-year-old also labeled it ridiculous Australia were not playing a tour match ahead of the first Test in India on February 9, with the team to rely on net and center-wicket training.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button